Like much of the Rogue Valley, many Ashland School District families, teachers and staff lost their homes to the Almeda Fire that swept through our area on the first day of school. 10% of our students live outside of Ashland as do many of our teachers and staff.
Ashland Schools Foundation is providing resources at this critical time to help Ashland School families who have been impacted by the fires.
We are using our cash reserves in order to immediately respond to the needs. Cash grants will be given to teachers and staff who lost homes, and we are supplying each school site with gift cards to Ashland grocery and other general-needs stores to be given out to fire-impacted families.
We welcome the help of those in our community who want to support these families. The Ashland Schools Foundation has been fundraising and supporting the Ashland Schools for 30 years and we are a safe and reliable way to support many families that attend school in Ashland.
We hope to have additional funds available, and will need to replenish some of the reserves we're using. Any amount you can give will impact these families at a time when it's most needed. Thank you for your support!
Please support our efforts with your donation to our Ashland Schools Assistance Fund.
Ways to donate:
2020 BACK-TO-SCHOOL FUND DRIVE
It feels ironic to hold a "back-to-school" fund drive, when our students are not going to be in their classrooms this fall, but will be distance learning from home. But in this context, school is not a building, but a concept. Learning can take place in many ways, and in many places.
The educators in the Ashland Schools have been working diligently this summer to reinvent education and ensure that the distance learning experience they are forced to put in place will be one of real value, and the Ashland Schools Foundation (ASF) wants to help!
The costs involved with overcoming these issues were not something that was budgeted for. As we’ve all found out…it’s difficult to plan for a pandemic! This is where you and the Ashland Schools Foundation comes in! We are holding a back-to-school fund drive to ensure that the Ashland School District has the tools needed to overcome the current challenging circumstances and provide the best education possible for our children.
- The District has chosen a new educational engagement platform, called Canvas, to connect teachers with their students. The program allows schools to build their learning environment in ways that meet their own unique needs from Kindergarten through 12th grade. We know that students, parents and teachers are all struggling now to learn this new platform, but we have high hopes that once the learning stage is over, everyone will benefit from this investment.
- They are making a huge investment in technology to have enough laptops available to loan out to every student grades 3-12 that needs one for at-home learning. They are also loaning out iPads to the K-2 students who need devices, and additional technology to ensure every student has access to the internet. They will be providing well over 1000 devices to families in the district.
- The School Board revised the calendar and scheduled an extra week of training time for teachers and staff to learn the new Canvas system, and build those learning environments to start the year off on the best footing possible under extremely difficult circumstances.
- Many teachers will be doing their online teaching from their campus classrooms, and the district is working to purchase technology that will enable that teaching to happen more organically. Using this system teachers will be able to get out from behind their laptops and write at their white boards or move about as if their students were in the desks in front of them, all while the lesson is being broadcast online.
- The District is continuing to feed children who need help with meals, supplying breakfast and lunches that can be eaten at home. Many families rely on the school foods program for their children, and it’s important that these families continue to receive those services.
Please click on the DONATE button above to donate. Both small and large donations have a direct impact on education of our students!
Thank you for your support - stay safe and stay strong.
ASF announces new Fund for Equity & Inclusion
On so many levels, these are challenging times. During our forced time-out due to the COVID19 crisis, ASF Board members have been working on strategic planning to make our organization stronger and more responsive to the needs of the schools and the community. Throughout this two-month process, we have been discussing ways we could make our organization more diverse and inclusive, and for ways to support the the Black, Indigenous, and People of Color in our school community.
Recent heartbreaking events have brought these issues to the forefront. The Ashland Schools Foundation joins the Ashland School District and voices around the nation in advocating for real change to end systemic racism in our community and our country.
But raising our voice is not enough.
ASF has established a new Fund for Equity & Inclusion for directed donations to provide resources in Ashland Public Schools for our community of Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC). We will be matching the first $5000 in donations, and will be working with the school district and families to do an assessment of needs to determine how we can have the greatest impact through funding. In the meantime ASF will work to secure funds to meet those needs as the district develops a cohesive plan to address equity, diversity and inclusion in the Ashland Public Schools with the input our BIPOC community.
Please click HERE if you would like to contribute to this cause. Thank you.
Your Shopping Can Support Ashland Schools!
At this point, more than ever, we encourage you to support our local businesses for any needs. But with the temporary closure of so many retailers, you may be shopping online for things you would have purchased locally.
If so, there are simple ways for your shopping dollars to also benefit the Ashland Schools!
Visit our SHOP TO SUPPORT page to discover ways to raise funds for the schools by simply linking your shopping to the right merchant programs.
Spread the word! Thanks for your support and shopping!